Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas in sight

The Christmas spirit is everywhere today.  Because of that is appropriate to talk about this important holiday which drives the people crazy and what we think about this particular festivity.
Christmas have a religious origin based in a catholic motive, which is related to the birth of Jesus Christ, the human incarnation of god to this religion. This celebration has a cultural side which has been transmitted to millions of people in the world, principally in occidental cultures where this festivity is a central civil holiday in the year schedule.
 The religious initial motive was turning to a commercial custom trough the expansion of the gift giving tradition. In Modern times this feast includes some particular customs like sharing whit family around a special meal, a decoration of houses and Christmas’s trees, the Christmas cards exchange, and the myth of Santa Claus (“Viejito Pascuero” in our country).
In my opinion the creation of Santa Claus figure symbolizes all the commercialization spirit which has contaminated the initial sense of the festivity. When I was a kid this feast was important to me because I was nervous about this character (Santa) and If he brings to me or not the gift that I have asked to him.
However since I am not a catholic believer and when I discover the truth of Santa’s myth I see this festivity as an exclusive commercial date which the companies desperately expects.  The people get mad in the street and in commercial centers as if it was the only sense of the feast. I really dislike this and I expect that in a future this situation make a U turn.
There is a mix of believers and not-believers in my family and that makes the feast fine. We usually stay together whit my parents and grandparents and we share a meal. Is a moment to share in family and at twelve o clock of 25th we start to exchange some gifts.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Diego!
    I also hate the madness for buying that wakes up at Christmas. I really believe that it has no sense. But then I think about the good time that i spend with my family and i think that actually it has some meaning. Anyway, never it is going to be necessary all the gifts and buying thing, that makes almost everyone crazy.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Diego!

    Remember:

    Chritmas has (third person).

    Also, watch your spelling: "with", "through".

    Finally, don´t forget the subject: IT is a moment to share with the family...".

    2 POINTS.

    ReplyDelete